Monday 13 June 2011

You're the Salt in my Stew

About a week ago, while shopping in one of my favourite antique shops (Chat Noir ), I came across the most adorable salt and pepper shakers.  I snatched them up as soon as I saw them - and for a solid $12 - they were mine!  As with everything, I could hardly wait to tell my mother.  When I described them to her, she said that she knew exactly the style I was referring to, and that it was actually featured in this months edition of Martha Stewart Living Magazine.  Who knew salt and pepper shakers were trendy??!
My Very Surprised Shakers

I was interested in learning about these "corny" gems and my mother lent me the magazine.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading "Great Shakes" and learned a thing or two about my shakers.  Martha explained that particularly tomatoes, apples, corn, strawberries and watermelons were most widely produced.  Slices rather than whole fruits and vegetables were more rare and worth more.  She went on to explain that most shakers produced at their peak in the mid 20th century were made in Japan.
Japan stamp - check, cork plug - not too sure
She also explained that you could date the shakers based on the plug - cork plugs were older than their plastic counterparts.  


Although my shakers may have been a dime a dozen in their hay day, I think they are pretty rare to find in kitchens today.  As I ponder with all thrift store finds, I wonder who owned them first....


~Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment